Periodontal Treatment in Rockville, MD
Periodontal disease is a severe oral health concern affecting millions of Americans. Gum disease is a progressive bacterial infection that compromises the health and structure of the teeth, gums, and jaw. Gum disease is a leading cause of tooth loss and increases the risk of developing a systemic illness. Rockville, MD dentist Dr. Ali Sarkarzadeh offers periodontal therapy for the treatment of gum disease. With over 23 years of clinical experience, Dr. Sarkarzadeh can spot the signs of gum disease in the earliest stages allowing for conservative and efficient treatment.
Stages of Gum Disease
Gum disease can be treated and even reversed if caught early. As gum disease progresses, the bacteria can cause complex oral health complications. There are two key stages of gum disease and many patients do not realize they have gum disease until the later stages. This is why routine visits to our Rockville, MD dentist office are vital where Dr. Sarkarzadeh will screen for signs of gum disease.
Gingivitis: An early-stage gum disease, gingivitis is typically easy to treat but may require additional at-home care to prevent it from returning. Patients with recurring gingivitis may benefit from more frequent professional dental cleanings. At this stage, bacteria begin to form deep pockets in the gums causing inflammation and gum recession.
Periodontitis: An advanced stage of gum disease, periodontitis can cause permanent damage to the gum tissue and weaken the teeth. This often requires intensive treatment to address damage and restore oral health. If periodontitis is left untreated, teeth may become loose or fall out compromising the function of the bite and jaw bone.
If you experience any of the following signs of gum disease, it is important that you schedule an appointment with Dr. Sarkarzadeh as soon as possible.
- Gums that are red, swollen or sore
- Bleeding gums
- Receding gums
- Loose teeth
- Mouth sores or pus between gums and teeth
- Bad breath
- Changes in the fit of dentures
Periodontal Therapy: What to Expect
Periodontal therapy is designed to remove disease-causing bacteria from the oral cavity. Once the teeth and gums are clean and free from harmful bacteria, additional cosmetic or restorative dental treatments may be required to repair the subsequent damage. For patients who have lost teeth due to gum disease, Dr. Sarkarzadeh and Dr. Farzin offer full-service dental implant options. Dental implants can be used to naturally replace missing teeth and provide long term stability and oral health. Dr. Farzin also offers bone and gum grafting for patients with advanced periodontal disease.
- Preventive Care: If caught early, your dentist can treat gingivitis with a thorough dental cleaning. Dr. Sarkarzadeh may also recommend an antibacterial mouth wash to help balance the oral cavity bacteria. Diligent at-home oral hygiene and regular dental cleanings can help prevent
- Scaling & Root Planing: Scaling & root planing is an intensive dental cleaning that removes bacteria from the root pockets in the gums. Using special tools, your dentist will scrape away plaque and tartar build-up and remove disease-causing bacteria. This deep cleaning method helps prevent the development of gum recession and tooth loss.
- Gum Surgery: For patients with advanced periodontitis, Dr. Sarkarzadeh may recommend a local periodontist or oral surgeon for further advice on how to treat the effects of gum disease to restore health and function to the teeth and gums.